gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975696 Posts in 138931 Topics by 6355 Members - Latest Member: Jason Lynn August 05, 2024, 02:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Seat repair / restoration
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Seat repair / restoration  (Read 3081 times)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Seat repair / restoration
« on: July 18, 2008, 12:11 PM »
Anyone done any seat restoration - couldn't find a sticky  ???

I have a couple of seats with cracks in them - any sugestions what to use - some sort of coloured sealant / glue / filler - I think i'll try the dye method as described for the tuff wheels but its the fixing cracks and scuffs part i wanna know about.
Can you sand plastic to get the minor scuffs out ? What grade of paper ? :-\
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Goose1

Re: Seat repair / restoration
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:57 PM »
There's a guy on Burnerworld...............Russ J , who does a cracking job at restoring Aeroyal and other seats, sands them down, they look ace. He won't sort cracks though!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 03:18 PM »
Seats are usually made of nylon so can be very difficult to repair cracks.  Plastic bumper repair techniques may work but I've never seen anyone try it; worth a go as you've nothing to lose.  Sanding seats on the main body surface usually removes the textured finish, if your seat has a smooth finish then I'd go for it through the various grades up to 2000 grit, finish it off with a plastic polish like the one from Meguairs  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 03:27 PM »
Sounds good i'll give it a go - the first repair is a black kashimax aero it's not in too bad a state no cracks on that one but a bit of tail rub where the bikes been resting on it - like you say i think i'll go down the grades see what kind of finish i can achieve - i was gonna try "Back To Black" - you know that shit you put on your car tyres to see if that brought the colour out ?

As for the other project that could be a bit trickier - the crack is on the topside of the seat between two of the air vent holes - i was hoping to try and fill it with some kind of coloured sealant and then dye the whole seat (which is currently a bit faded) back to it's former glory.............

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 03:40 PM »
Sounds good i'll give it a go - the first repair is a black kashimax aero it's not in too bad a state no cracks on that one but a bit of tail rub where the bikes been resting on it - like you say i think i'll go down the grades see what kind of finish i can achieve - i was gonna try "Back To Black" - you know that shit you put on your car tyres to see if that brought the colour out ?

As for the other project that could be a bit trickier - the crack is on the topside of the seat between two of the air vent holes - i was hoping to try and fill it with some kind of coloured sealant and then dye the whole seat (which is currently a bit faded) back to it's former glory.............

The aero should come up quite well, Steve P posted a thread about a repair he's done on a Shot Gun II seat, so long as you are careful about how much you rub down it should come up a treat.  Also, use Dylon to restore the colour; there's a great thread by Waxintaxin in the restoration stickies that tells you how to do it but essentially it's a couple of the same colour dylon dyes, salt and simmering hot water plus  a few hours of simmering in the pot for the seat  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

toys19

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 04:13 PM »
Nylon is great for plastic welding, done shed loads of it before. Use a soldering iron the underside and just sort of wipe it around gently. It might pay to trim along the edges of the saddle to provide a bit of filler material and then use that to push into the crack from underneath. If you do muck it up too badly you can always sand and polish out the mess you have made. If you use silcone filler or anything like that it will not take the dye as well as the nylon. Nylon is hygroscopic, it absorbs water which is one of the reasons its so good at being dyed, silicone sealer does not absorb water.
There is a book here all about plastic repair with a section on plastic welding. Practice on some scrap before you muck up your lovely seat...
http://www.urethanesupply.com/pdf/thebook.pdf
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:56 AM by toys19 »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 11:37 PM »
Great tips toys19  :daumenhoch:
Definitely think i'll do some practice before i attack my seat with a soldering iron  ;D but it sounds like that may be the way to go - nice one  ;)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 11:41 PM »
MartyC - thanks for all your help - i've found the threads you told me about and i am now a man on a mission  :daumenhoch:

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 11:40 AM »
sorry to dig an old one up

but john did you get around to doing this at all
and how did it turn out

pics ?
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 11:54 AM »

Seems to be a few old thread being dug up today Kev  :LolLolLolLol:

Never got around to sorting the seat  :-[

It's still here to be done.

Guess I wasn't on as much of a mission as I thought  :-[ ;D

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 12:04 PM »
 ::)

:LolLolLolLol:

what about the other threads mentioned ^^^^^

linky's ?

cheers Kev

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 01:43 PM »

what about the other threads mentioned ^^^^^

linky's ?

That was just the good old seat dying threads kev - I did get around to dying a Kashi aero for the 84 cali  :angel:

But didn't sort the other seat with the crack  :-[

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 03:04 PM »
ah !
cheers Kev

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Seat repair / restoration

gfxgfx
gfx gfx