gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 07:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Next kids bike...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Next kids bike...  (Read 320 times)

part time

Next kids bike...
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:02 AM »
My 'nearly 6' year old lad is rapidly growing out of his 16" wheeled Specialized Hot Rock, so the hunt is on for something new  :D
We went to a local bike shop at the weekend and he threw a leg over the 20" wheeled version, which was maybe a little too big right now, but would be spot on by the time father christmas does his visiting.  The problem was that it had suspension forks, gears and seemed to be as long as an oil tanker.  I'm not convinced he needs any of that..........
I'm considering getting him a race BMX instead, a mini or maybe a juniour (he's still too young to be out on his own so i'm not bothered about him having it nicked by pikeys just yet), he loves riding BMX tracks and his Argos ramps out the front as well as a trip to the skatepark on occasions.  I've asked him about racing and although he's keen he says he isn't ready yet.  I have concerns that the tyres look really skinny for day to day use though, could I fit 1.5"'s or something to make it a bit more compliant or would the frame/fork clearance be too tight?
I've looked at 18" wheeled BMX's but they all look a bit overbuilt/heavy for what he would use it for I think.
Anyone got anything else I should consider?

Broggie

Re: Next kids bike...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:18 AM »
 :2funny: LOL Dad shutup.   Seriously though I tend to think that children know what they want, although an MTB type bike probably isn't the best tool for the job...I think you might need to find some compromise.  probably a hardtail with suspension forks, so a bit like a jump bike really...covers all the bases...good for the rough...usable on the street.

Just my tuppence worth.

Best of luck.

Ray.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Next kids bike...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx