gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 03:36 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Cruiser Forks - Carbon?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Cruiser Forks - Carbon?  (Read 1672 times)

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Cruiser Forks - Carbon?
« on: February 28, 2010, 08:22 PM »
I've seen a lot of people racing with this type of fork and was wondering what the benefit is, if any, over conventional forks.

After all, they cost big money, so I would expect some thing special for my outlay.

Does any one on here use them. If so, which type and what do you think of them?

Cheers

Bren
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Cruiser Forks - Carbon?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:21 PM »
Theres not much in it except a little bit of a weight saving and slightly more ridgid
A long time ago, in a land far away!

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 09:36 PM »
 :) Used them before (Bombshell,Answer,Haro) and don`t reckon they feel stiffer than cromo forks.Not much weight saving between them and steel these days,seems to be largely a fashion thing..

dialledbikes

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 09:58 PM »
I've raced on Sinz carbon cruiser forks for the last 2 seasons.  Seeing as I have a titanium frame that weighs less than 4lbs, I figured it seemed a bit daft designing myself such a light frame and then using heavy cro-moly forks on it (pre-Fuji Landing Gear), so I got some carbons purely for the weight saving (about 1.5lbs).

However, some cro-moly forks only weigh 2-4oz more than carbons now, so I'm going back to a cro-moly frame and fork this year (S&M XLTs).

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 03:12 PM »
I had a set of the Sinz carbons but to be honest I only bought them because of how they looked rather than any other reason.

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 08:59 PM »
Cromo it is then, cheers kidz :daumenhoch:
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:41 PM »
If your not worried about weight. I love the way these look almost as much as the set Laz has on his cruiser.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMX-FORKS-24-Cruiser-chrome_W0QQitemZ150411919154QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item23053fbf32#ht_500wt_956

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:54 PM »
 The ones Gary posted are Rudd (Sunn`s parts brand) and are surprisingly light too... :daumenhoch:

wolfybmx

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 08:07 PM »
carbon or other

technicaly carbon forks offer a better and smoother ride as they absorb more surface vibration so give the rider less fatigue through the handle bars.

manufacturing in carbon is always more exspensive due to the labour cost of layering and materials, however the plus side is more functional shapes can be made i.e aerodynamic (lowering / reducing air resistance).

cro mo forks would generally offer a more rigid ride as they absorb less vibration and you can tell the differance in ride quality between both materials.

cro-mo will always offer the buyer a wider range of choice bewteen brands as carbon options are limited to 3 or 4 manufactures.

it is true that carbon is sometimes seen a fashion thing but it is also very much functional as well. a weight saving is also a plus but with some cro-mo forks getting lighter it will be grams rather than pounds that are saved.

i have riden both carbon and cro-mo and would say that start with cro-mo and move upto carbon making your bike a much better machine as your riding improves.

thats pretty much it  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Cruiser Forks - Carbon?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx