gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 09:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  1981 JMC Black Shadow
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1981 JMC Black Shadow  (Read 1131 times)

PlanetX

1981 JMC Black Shadow
« on: February 27, 2010, 07:19 AM »
I had been wanting a black JMC Black Shadow with a Euro BB since they came out. Not only did I find one, but through some weird twist of fate or harmonic convergence, I had cash on me to buy it that day.

In 1981 I sold my beloved Torker to buy something longer. I had wanted a JMC since 1978. When an area shop started carrying JMC in 1980ish, I decided that a JMC would be my next bike. I went in to buy a black Black Shadow with a Euro BB. The shop was out of Shadows and had no forks. The only frame in stock was a blue long standard. Being an impatient 14-year-old, I took it with plans to buy a fork later. I had immediate buyer's remorse, but I loved the bike's ride. Soon I was planning how I would replace it with the Black Shadow F/F of my dreams. I never did, till a couple of years ago.

My first JMC, circa 1981ish.

This is really the only bike of mine that I don't ride much. I will ride it, but no jumping. I don't really build them like this any more. I prefer building with survivor stuff. Someone once described my bikes as looking like they were put away in 1980 where they sat until now. I like that. This one is an exception to that. It's pretty and sexy, but a little too "clean" for me. Not getting rid of it, though.

I had another JMC, (see last pics--one with Jim Melton) but sold it a few months ago so I could buy my sick GJS. It was really hard to sell, but since I had two and really, really, really wanted a GJS. . .

The pedals pictured are Helix and KKT. It now has MKS BM-10s. The rear tire has been changed, too.

Frame: 1981 JMC Black Shadow with Euro BB
Forks: 1981 JMC Black Shadow
Headset: Tange MX-3 headset (NOS) with Suntour Headset Lock (NOS) and Dirt Skirt (NOS)
Stem: Pro Neck
Bars: First-Gen GT Pro, re-chrome plated
Grips: A’me Round Bubble Font
Brakes: Front and rear Shimano Tourney DX calipers and levers (NOS) with Kool Stop Continental pads (NOS)
Seat Clamp: Dia Compe Two-Bolt (NOS)
Seatpost: Basset 4130 Chromo (NOS)
Saddle: Kashimax MX (NOS)
Cranks: Campagnolo Strada (anodized) with 45T drilled Sugino chainring and Campagnolo crank caps
BB: Campagnolo Super Record
Pedals: MKS BM-10 (NOS)
Wheels: Araya 7x (NOS) with Phil Wood hubs (NOS rear), Union SS spokes, 16T, Suntour, 888 freewheel
Tires: Mitsuboshi Comp III 20 x 2.125 front (NOS), Mitsuboshi Comp III 20 x 1.5 rear
Chain: HKK Smoker (NOS)
Other: Black vinyl pads, Haro number plate (NOS), Haro numbers

This is the f/f I sold recently.  :'( I still have all the parts waiting for the right frameset. Love to snag a Pro Neck. I think.

Jim Melton with my JMCs. That's Harry Leary in the background.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 07:53 PM by PlanetX »

fouronethreeoh!

Re: 1981 JMC Black Shadow
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 08:27 AM »
Very nice attention to detail  :)
As you said, very clean build.

PK6061

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 09:04 AM »
the black shadow with the gold parts is just :4_17_5: :4_17_5: :4_17_5:

tolaknawris

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 09:29 AM »

stunners  8)

my old Shadow  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 09:35 AM by keep it light! »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  1981 JMC Black Shadow

gfxgfx
gfx gfx