gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 04:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  A bike a day? My Thruster--newest addition to the quiver
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: A bike a day? My Thruster--newest addition to the quiver  (Read 2151 times)

PlanetX

A bike a day? My Thruster--newest addition to the quiver
« on: February 25, 2010, 04:04 AM »
I've had one of these (or a Ferdie Garcia or Jamie Burroughs (sp?)) on my want list since I started collecting. It was on the list, but not a priority. A few weeks ago, I got a wild hair and needed one. Since I had most of the parts laying around, I was able to justify the search. Then just as I found a frame and fork (separate) I got an offer on some forks I had laying around. The stars had aligned. So, here is my 1980 (?) Thruster Vanishing Point.

Some pics are older and show the day-one build. I replaced the Torker Ultra-4 stem with a Pro Neck and the Shimano pre-bent lever with a DX. The saddle is now blue, too.

Frame: 1980 Thruster Vanishing Point, all OG
Fork: Thruster, undrilled, OG finish, Repro Stickers
Handlebars:  Thruster Power Bar, OG finish, 1.5" wooden dowels for extensions, just like I did BITD
Grips: A'me Round
Stem: Pro Neck
Headset: Tange MX-3 with Suntour Headset Lock
Cranks: Dura Ace 175 Cranks with, Shimano 41T Chainring, all OG
BB: Sugino Sealed
Chain: Regina Drilled
Freewheel: Suntour 14T
Pedals: KKT Lightning
Seatpost: Bassett Chromoly (NOS)
Saddle: Kashimax MX
Wheels: Araya 7C rims (NOS), Union SS spokes with alloy Nipples (NOS) and Suntour Large Flange Front/Small Flange Cassette Rear Hubs (NOS)
Tires: Cycle Pro Snakebelly Blackwall 20 x 2.125 Front and 20 x 1.75 Cheng Shin Rear
Brakes: Shimano Tourney, Shimano DX Lever, Scott Mathauser Pads and Shimano Cable Clamps
Seatclamp: Suntour
Other: Pro Neck Stem and Handlebar Pads, Unknown Frame Pad; Forty Four 16 Designs, handmade, 1979 Timmy Judge Replica Number Plate.

An earlier build with Torker Ultra-4 stem and Shimano Pre-Bent lever.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 04:06 AM by PlanetX »

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: A bike a day? My Thruster--newest addition to the quiver
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:57 AM »
Love the drop outs on the Thrusters, a well stiff set up. The Torker stem looks the well cool too.
Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 11:36 PM »

Those bars are cool  :)

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

PlanetX

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 12:10 AM »
Love the drop outs on the Thrusters, a well stiff set up. The Torker stem looks the well cool too.

Thanks guys.

I swapped out the Torker stem for a much-less sexy Pro Neck. The Torker is 1/4" shorter and with a bike this small, I need as much extra length as I can get.

sweetbeats

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 12:23 AM »
What I love about BMX is the perversion....well done my friend your a winner and command ultimate respect  :4_17_5:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  A bike a day? My Thruster--newest addition to the quiver

gfxgfx
gfx gfx