gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 11:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Junior /Mini Crank
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Junior /Mini Crank  (Read 743 times)

Offline johnjo74

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Junior /Mini Crank
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:50 PM »
I am doing up an old 80's bmx up as a rider for my son . Not sure what the frame is , had no decals .
I want to replace the crank set up,  to something a little more attractive ! Not measured the arms , but it is a mini bmx with 16 " wheels  , so I'm guessing 140 /150mm ?
Will I need to replace the bb and look for a three piece crank / spider set up ?
Like i say , its nothing special , so dont want to be spending big bucks.
Anyway , can anyone point me in the right direction , as I am baffled with what to look for or put up a wanted for ??

Cheers johnjo74  8)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Junior /Mini Crank
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 12:06 PM »
If you want to run alloy 3 piece cranks you will need to replace the bb as the one you have is for cranks that use cotter pins.  A set of old school 3 piece alloy cranks in a 165 length can be picked up for about forty quid or you can pick up a new school set for a similar price.  Best place to start looking is eBay as you might be able to pick up a bargain as junior/mini stuff is less sought after and therefore lower priced.  Thread wise you'll need an English thread bb and try and get one with the same width axle to ensure the proper chain alignment  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline johnjo74

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 05:41 PM »
Cheers for that , think I have a little more understanding of what I need now  :)
So is this the only way , or is a OPC set up possible ? If it is , what should I be looking for ?
Cheers , johnjo74 8)

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:53 PM »

check the wanted adds , i think dazbmx has a mini opc  :-\

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:33 AM »

check the wanted adds , i think dazbmx has a mini opc  :-\

A mini opc is no good if he has a euro/english bb which going by the pics of his cotterpin setup that's what he has  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Junior /Mini Crank

gfxgfx
gfx gfx