gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 09:24 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  80s Wilson BMX Help / Info
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 80s Wilson BMX Help / Info  (Read 26528 times)

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: 80s Wilson BMX Help / Info
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 08:47 PM »
here's a couple of wilson's i have in my british race frame collection,just looking for a 20" for a full set :daumenhoch:
20" mini

24" cruiser
British race frames and race clothing wanted

monkian

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2010, 08:58 PM »
sawzall: Man those welds almost look like Race-Inc loveliness :shocked:
Don't you need both 20" & 20" Freestyler ;)

cheese: Please save up for a re-chrome. It deserves it :daumenhoch:
So are they Wilson Bars on your Freestyler?

cheese2222001

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2010, 09:01 PM »
Yep Wilson Bars!

Sorry pic taken from Moby!

Rodgy1970

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 09:11 PM »
contact jon aka buttsbikeshop on here or Burnerworld via PM about the chroming and he might give you an estimated price

i wouldn't read anything into these been referred to as cheap in the mag review, affordable or good value for money would probably have been a better description

from the pics certainly doesn't look like quality was an issue, reynolds tubing and the welds look spot on

:daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 09:20 PM by Rodgy »

monkian

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 09:16 PM »
Just checked out your garage: http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=104483
Man that's a really nice score and a freebie just to rub it in ;D

cheese2222001

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2010, 09:18 PM »
Cheers!

splodge

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2010, 09:39 AM »
POsted a few pics already, but here she is!

Sorry for the pants pic, its of the moby!

Rides sweet as tho!!!!!

Cheese

That brings back memories! I always thought it was similar to a gen1 Master but looking at it now its more like a DP freestler with a bottom gusset, kind of a mix between the two. Which surely isnt a bad thing  8)

cheese2222001

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2010, 11:47 AM »
I will dig the digital camera out and take some better pictures to post, overall she has cleaned up really nice. Could do with one or two new bits (decals, seatpost, chain and stem locking nut) but for a first ride in 20+ years i'm delighted. Can wait to get out on her in the summer with Nev and bringing her to MK10!

I was wondering if anyone could tell what model the calipers are? Deff MK Dia-Compes with quick release, dial adjuster and self centering. Again will grab a better pic.

Cheese

EdMoore

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2010, 09:58 PM »
sawzall: Man those welds almost look like Race-Inc loveliness :shocked:
Don't you need both 20" & 20" Freestyler ;)

cheese: Please save up for a re-chrome. It deserves it :daumenhoch:
So are they Wilson Bars on your Freestyler?

Steve used to braze, not weld on the original frames. He reckoned they flexed better and so didn't crack.

monkian

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2010, 10:04 PM »
 :-X 8) :daumenhoch:

bikebuilder

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2010, 08:21 PM »
Hi to all, just found this site and it's really cool. i know a little bit about these bikes i used to make the frames.
The welds are the best ever TIG welded frames-Renolds 531 tubing was the best made in Britain. delivered in 5m lenghts to telford shropshire, and cut to lenght in a small work shop in Gower Street St Georges. Rebel BMX made the Wilson range for halfords. they were only made in chrome.

It's Fantastic to see them again, i've got 2 frames 1 freesyle with the twin tube and a very rare stunt frame, also got the laid back handle bars and the stunt bars which have a dual cross member for standing on. the original stickers were of the American confederate flag, Blue skywag magII's.
I'm hoping to dig it all out this summer for my 8year old son.

Nice to know some like minded guys and galls are still out there.

jp-rebel

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Hi,Bikebuilder,when you say the confed flag I take it you talking about the Rebel's, and when you say rare stunt bike do you meen like this old one of mine below that I sold last year?,post up some pics if you can, and if you ever want to sell a twin top tube Rebel or Wilson please let me know. :)

Steve Rooke

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2010, 04:52 PM »
Can anyone help I am trying to contact Steve Wilson the Halfords BMX team manager in the 80's who was involved in the original Redditch BMX Track. Does anyone know of his whereabouts, all it is that I would like to send him a special guest invite for the new Redditch BMX Track opening on July 10th.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2010, 06:40 PM »
BMXMATT1974 if thats still his id was pretty clued up on Wilson stuff might be worth dropping him a pm , unsure if a few people have tried to track Mr Wilson down before, if you mange to let us know as i sure there's a few people would like to get info on the frame sets, myself included, good look and keep us informed  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 06:43 PM by oldtired »

jp-rebel

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2010, 06:40 PM »
New Redditch BMX Track :coolsmiley: :coolsmiley: :coolsmiley: tell me more, what is the address? do you have any pics?.

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2010, 10:08 PM »
New Redditch BMX Track :coolsmiley: :coolsmiley: :coolsmiley: tell me more, what is the address? do you have any pics?.

look in the new school race section  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline Tefore

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2010, 11:41 AM »
Steve wilson was a Frame builder based in Redditch West Midlands in the early 80's, I believe he made motocross frames before he tried his hand at BMX, My cousin had an extra long custom BMX f+f made by him BITD, if I remember correctly he manufactured an off the peg range as well as  Frames, Forks ,Bars and Seat-posts  to customers requirements and did not sell complete Bikes so your mate cant go wrong with any era correct parts, he also made the Frames for the Halfords race team. Hope my jaded memories are of some help.

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr excuse me redditch is in worcestershire not west midlands.lol
lived in redditch 36 years and did not know they were made here

EdMoore

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2010, 09:06 PM »
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr excuse me redditch is in worcestershire not west midlands.lol
lived in redditch 36 years and did not know they were made here

Steve was (at least from when I met him, mid 70s) in a workshop on the site of the police station but was still repairing motocross bike frames mainly. As BMX took off he moved to a bigger unit in the old Enfield(?) works at Batchley. At the time he lived in Winyates.

He first made frames and forks then went in for whole bikes. The frames were mild steel and brazed, made by himself on a jig of his own crafting, then chromed in Redditch. I know this because while still at school I worked for him on and off assembling bikes and drilling bits of frame etc. He let me design my own custom frame which he made and we used chro-moly for the forks, which was the first time he'd used it! This must have been the late 70s or perhaps early 80s. Last time I saw him was a few years later, he was making cruisers too by then and encouraging cruiser racing for older riders while managing the Halfords team.

Takes me back.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  80s Wilson BMX Help / Info

gfxgfx
gfx gfx