gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 12:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Aero Reflex Perception
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Aero Reflex Perception  (Read 2481 times)

starockets

Aero Reflex Perception
« on: February 10, 2010, 04:27 PM »
As a complete novice in the old school restoration world I am trying to figure out why Aero Reflex's have a seemingly below average reputation.
Were they really disliked back in the day, or is it just nowadays that they have an air of uncool around them.
Apologies if my thoughts are incorrect but I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

dannywhiteley

Re: Aero Reflex Perception
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 05:32 PM »
They are good bikes, well built with good welds and chrome, but for one they were never that popular BITD (basically cos they were so expensive - ive seen ads for £139.99 for frame and foirks with TA's for £165 in the same ad), particuarly when there was already a very popular UK freestyler on the market for almpst half that price (Firebird Freestyler - and Rebel Freestyler among others).

Secondly, pallet loads of boxed NOS unsold frame and forks (probably cos of that price tag) were still being punted around here and ebay as recently as last year for £30 so there is a perception that they are 'low end' when in actual fact they arent.  In that respect they are recovering well, with prices now in the £50-75 bracket.

Most people have had a 'flex at some point.  I had one for my first build and I dare say many other people did too.  You still cant go wrong it you can get one for £50 or so.  One of the best value old school f/f's around (when you consider firebirds are now £250+).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 05:36 PM by dannywhiteley »

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:00 PM »
I've never owned one, but I think it's all down to marketing. Bitd, all the top riders were on Haro, Skyway, GT etc, probably because they sponsored the top riders of the day. They were already established and so had the infrastructure and the money to be able to do so. In the UK, there was probably only DP, that were really accepted widely and probably due to the British rider they sponsored and the low cost. To a lesser extent Ammaco, Rickman, Curtis, Vincent and Holeshot were accepted, due to riders sponsored and history (MX), the others were really just fringe bikes - no history and no top riders.

This doesn't mean that I don't think that TRM, Aero Reflex, Scorpion etc etc were not quality framesets, just competing in a very competitive market place.

starockets

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 07:05 PM »
Thanks for that guys.
I was never hugely into the scene back then, but somehow I have developed a complete fascination with the scene now.
The bike doesn't seem that bad at all, but it just feels like I've got myself a new proper ugly girlfriend........love her to bits but too ashamed to show her off to my mates.

Offline Wadz

• Rockwalk
  • Ride Ride Ride!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 09:50 PM »
dont be ashamed of it, ive got this as a rider and love it.

you can go out and practice tricks with out sh!tting yourself when you come off, i bet your mates dont do that with there skyways/haro,s
carpet queens

starockets

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 10:16 PM »
Can't wait to get mine out and see how long before the concrete jumps up and slaps me in the face, Oh to be 13 again.

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 06:21 AM »
yeah I fancy one too, but Ive 2 frames i haven't built, so hardly need another, I do like them though.
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

Offline Wadz

• Rockwalk
  • Ride Ride Ride!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 11:42 PM »
theres aways room for 1 more >:D

dannywhiteley

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 07:18 AM »
I recently helped my brother build his first BMX, I gave him the frame and forks for his birthday.

And heres my old one that was my first build a few years go...  Prefer my bro's though as its a lot simpler, with all OS parts (apart from wheels and grips), where as mine was a real mish mash.  Mind you it was a great learning exercise, and led on to better things, so wont diss it too much.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:22 AM by dannywhiteley »

starockets

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 10:04 PM »
Mate, they are both sweet looking bikes.
The scary thing is that your brothers one is identical to mine apart from the chainwheel (got a black one).
These bikes are too good for learning with as well, seriously addictive. I'm dreading the next one, this one cost enough.

trasher

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 08:20 AM »
Mate, they are both sweet looking bikes.
The scary thing is that your brothers one is identical to mine apart from the chainwheel (got a black one).
These bikes are too good for learning with as well, seriously addictive. I'm dreading the next one, this one cost enough.

Run run .......get out while you still can

sweetbeats

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 08:56 AM »
Yeah seen them almost double in price since I joined about 2 years ago,never ridden one even but for £70 bills they still seem like a decent deal and a cheap starting block for an old school intro :daumenhoch:
What do they ride like?

starockets

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 11:45 AM »
For a untalented BMX rider (too much time in lycra unfortunately) it did ride real nice. Haven't had the balls to chuck it off anything yet, that'll happen after the pub no doubt.
I had a problem with the for crown race being being too big as well so I had to shim it short term to stop the movement in the steerer tube.
But for the money I paid for the frame, I am well happy and it should get me to the pub quicker now than before.

ronster

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 06:27 PM »
I love mine...it was my first build since a kid (too many motorbikes/mtb etc) and now I have the bug again and several more bmx's now too but always have a soft spot for it,the only thing wrong with them is the frame standers on the chain stays can catch your heels whilst riding but if you run big'ish pedals it keeps your foot away from them ;)

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 07:19 PM »

cant beat an aero

starockets

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 07:44 PM »
I'll get a picture of mine uploaded once my new seat post arrives.
Bent the last one arsing around in the spare room before i'd even ridden it in anger to the pub  :idiot2:

Maybe it's time to start an Aero anti establishment revolution  :LolLolLolLol:

ronster

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 07:33 AM »
I'll get a picture of mine uploaded once my new seat post arrives.
Bent the last one arsing around in the spare room before i'd even ridden it in anger to the pub  :idiot2:

Maybe it's time to start an Aero anti establishment revolution  :LolLolLolLol:

Lets do it :knuppel2: :daumenhoch: 8) >:D :2funny: :uglystupid2: :2gunsfiring_v1: :4_17_5: :coolsmiley:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Aero Reflex Perception

gfxgfx
gfx gfx