gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 05:39 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  All you really need is a truing stand, and you can lace wheels. REALLY
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: All you really need is a truing stand, and you can lace wheels. REALLY  (Read 841 times)

Surf911s

I know. It does seem like such an intimidating venture, lacing and truing wheels. I felt that way for a long time. Stopped me from completing builds. Was too intimidated in installing the spokes on the hubs, and rims, was afraid of damaging the goods.

But one day, got the nerve to jump in, and give it a try. Read the "how to" here in the Restoration forums, and other places a few times, so I understood making sure you got your leading spokes correct. Counting the holes on the hubs is key. Once you have those two spokes in the right holes, and they are installed to the rim, man, its just as easy as making a "Cup of Noodles" 2 holes to the right in the hub with the next spoke, 4 holes over on the rim, spin the nipple two turns, and go to town. Really only took my 17 mins to do my very first wheel. 13 mins to do my second wheel. All laced, ready to tru. These were the first ones I ever did : Gyrolite hubs to Ambrosio rims, double butted chrome spokes.

Then, a few months later, I tried it again. This time with a 24" wheel set. 7X chrome Araya's, Zinc spokes, to bullseye hubs.

But both times, I dropped them off at the local lbs to have them trued. Didn't cost much, and the guy does a great job, but on my second set (bullseye/7X), the guy at the counter who helped me, took them in the back, and decided to drop them onto the concrete floor in the back. Uncool in my book, but no damage. So, a few weeks later, somebody was selling a truing stand here on the boards, and I picked it up. Sorta like "buy it, so you can do it yourself" type thing. F the lbs.

So, Ive had it for about a month now, just sitting in the garage. I'm in the process of build the Shelby James, and had to build the wheel set for it. So, grabbed the goods, sat in my chair, and put them together. Finished them up in no time, and put them on the frame, to be safe, then I'll drop them off at the lbs on monday, until I remembered I had the truing stand. Drank a Mountain Dew, stirred up the courage, and went to town. Though I did not time my self for this portion, I think it took around an hour to do both. Remembering the instructions I'd read before, went thru all the motions, and in to time, I had a nice, tight, straight spinning wheel set.

It is very simple to do. I know its very intimidating, the thought of doing it yourself. But if you can put a bike together, you can build a wheel set from beginning to end, and the satisfaction is awesome. As to make it REALLY easy. Look at any other wheel set you have, and just look at it. Find your 2 leading spokes(the holes opposite of the valve stem hole). Count the holes in the hub,and just copy it to your rim your building. Simple.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Way to go  :4_17_5:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Surf911s

Thanks !!!

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:

good lad, any chance of more pics of the profile hubs  ;)

bobbysam

nice work and it must be very rewarding knowing that you've done 'em yourself   :daumenhoch:

Offline Gish

• 540 Air
  • who the fook are you lookin at !!!!
  • Rated:
i laced my first wheels up a couple of months ago which i thought would be daunting but found it quite easy but dont have a truing stand so it was off to the lbs £15 a pair to be trued.
btw you got nice wheels there buddy :daumenhoch:
Ride it like its stolen

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
done 3 pairs of wheels myself just using the brakes on the frame as the truing stand ,all spot on  :daumenhoch: the best info from stidds wheelbuild is to put the same amount of turns on each spoke,and you should get them pretty straight. too tight to spend £15 on truing up north  ;D plus lbs is crap  :

telelogic

good for you :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  All you really need is a truing stand, and you can lace wheels. REALLY

gfxgfx
gfx gfx