gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headset Headache Help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Headset Headache Help  (Read 955 times)

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
Headset Headache Help
« on: January 18, 2010, 10:03 PM »
This is my dumb-arse goings on...

Needed a head set for one of my Redline build, bought a Shimano 1" threaded headset (listed for MTB, didn't know any better :() looked old school, nice rounded alloy cups... Cups wrong size and crown race wrong.

Went to my local bike shop (est. 1902, so should know what they're talking about), he sold me an 1" headset, retro looking... same as before ::)

Done some research, found they are a different size :idiot2:

Found a lovely Hatta on the bay, listed for a bmx, bought it  :)...   Same as the other two :wtf: Sent it back as wrongly listed

Had a little chat with myself like you do  :uglystupid2:, thought i'd 'bite the bullet' and get a Tange LP125, shipped one in...

Crown race fell on the forks (yes the forks are good with the coller still intact), pressed the top cup on, went to fit the bottem cup and that fell in the hole >:(, greased the bearings and fitted the forks, the bearing doesn't fit nicely on the crown race (yes it's the right way up) as a result of this the stack height is too high so there's not enough thread left for the washer and nut :'(  this is most definitely a fake :'( :'( :'(

So to cut a long story a little shorter... 2 months and nearly £180 later i'm still no better off :tickedoff:

So the question is... how many different types/sizes of headsets are there for an 1" threaded BMX? and which one do i need for a Redline series3

HELP PLEASE
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Headset Headache Help
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 10:13 PM »
strange one this,was the tange in a box? did it say crocodile on it if so they are the copys but still should have fitted :-\

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 10:23 PM »
what he said...beartrap all the way
haro, how do you do

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 10:33 PM »
Yes, it is a fake, worked that one out for myself (mug ::)) and yes it had Haro on the box. Why would one cup fit nice and not the other? poorly made fake i guessed.

Wanted something a bit different and didn't really want chrome.
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headset Headache Help

gfxgfx
gfx gfx