gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 05:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  HAVE REPOPS BEEN ACCEPTED?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: HAVE REPOPS BEEN ACCEPTED?  (Read 6746 times)

baldbmxer

HAVE REPOPS BEEN ACCEPTED?
« on: January 17, 2010, 12:53 PM »
A few years ago the whole whole debate on repop Aerospeeds had passions running high. People saying it was wrong and shoudnt be done etc etc.

Certainly last year there were people openly wanting the various Aerospurts, people talking about repoping them but the prospect of a market flooded with repops doesnt seen to get the passions running like it used to IMHO

Basically what I'm getting to is 'Do you think repops have been accepted'

I know there is a shortage of original parts, whether they are being held by certain collectors, or the prices are to high and out of reach, people 'new' to this world dont get the chance to get theryre hands on them etc, what ever you're reason etc. But there doesnt seem to be as much defence or arguement about the whole repop issue these days, especially from the 'old guard' of this hobby

Whats you're thoughts on this?

I'm using Aerospeeds as an example but it covers pedals, stems, bars etc etc

Offline pkradman

• Rated:
Re: HAVE REPOPS BEEN ACCEPTED?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 01:06 PM »
good point jon !!  i remember the days for example when the yanks were seeing red over the repo thing too slaging sander and biagio to the nines !! , now one of their own (mr jdb )has ventured into the market buy buying the hutch name seems like the whole situation has been swept under the carpet .. thing is it will never be HUTCH so whats changed ?? 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:13 PM by pkradman »

magna13

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 01:39 PM »
In my opinion re-pop's are a good thing. People get scared they'll flood the market and will make original stuff depreciate in price but to be honest this hasnt happened. i mean most things that have been re-pop'd have become a rare and expensive aswell! e.g. Johnny Chopper parts. They are great help to the Old School BMX community in which we can build bikes as close to certain spec's, replica's or just how we want them. Re-pop's have not ruined the community of Old School BMX, they've just help contribute to keeping this hobby and these bikes a very popular thing to get involved with :daumenhoch: :4_17_5:

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 02:21 PM »
I think it was inevitable - I have never had a problem with repros so long as they've been easily identifiable and so can not be passed off as originals.

I've not really seen the development of the latest repro stuff so I don't know how easy to tell the manufacturers have made it.

One thing that it has done is allow those that have come 'late to the party' or would not be able to afford the 'real deal' usually, to own something that looks very much like the items they want. It does however, sway my vote when it comes to BOTM & BOTY, if repro parts have been used.

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 03:16 PM »
I don't think the people that used to be vocal on the subject have changed one little bit.

The problem with the whole issue is that the scammers do not mark their stuff. There are those with good intentions that make buyers aware and might put a mark somewhere but after they've changed hands a couple of times they soon pop back up as the real deal.

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 05:23 PM »
biaggio's name was badly tarnished over the repro thing, as lee has said, bu even back then i dont think it was the fact that folk were reproducing stuff, it was the fact that they wouldnt mark them up as repro, or wouldnt tell the general public what the distinguishing mark was.

personally i dont see an issue with the whole repro thing, as long as the items aredate stamped clearly

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 05:26 PM »
I just see re-pops as retro

I'd use them for building a Kappa, new ta, knight retro, jonny chopper, quad 24 etc.

For those type of projects they're great, just the ticket.

I used supercross cruiser bas on my Kos Kruiser - because it wouldn't have gotten finished if I had to try and find an original set, Evey now and then they work but for the most they're just retro in drag.

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 10:13 PM »
like dan says on some of these later frames i would'nt bother about using them.
but on my old school bikes it would do my head right in.
i wont even use them rainbow tyres no more.
i'd sooner have a good used set of oldies.

dave the bmxing gypo

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 10:16 PM »
I cant see the issue either, does anyone thing that vintage cars, lorries, motor bikes etc. use 100% old parts? course they dont. The parts that are needed to keep them running ran out years ago. They only survive because people put time and effort into remaking the much needed parts that keep them running.
as a lot have said, play fair and discreetly mark the parts with a date.

Is anyone really going to go unnoticed selling 10 sets of Aerospeeds on ebay?? I dont think so, this community is too tight for a fraudster to go unnoticed for long!
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 09:53 AM »
Ratty just said what I was going to.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 03:06 PM »
when i see repop parts in the BITY or BITM comps, i think they are in the wrong place, it undermines the effort and time spent by the peeps who took the time and shouldered the expense to do it right and it feels unfair. they are usable bits for riding and nothing more. I wouldn't want to ride real aerospeeds for more than one reason, but it could be fun to have a set on my OS racer. I always thought the idea of old school collecting, is to get original parts and build an original frameset with them into a bike you either had or would have like to have had when you were younger. Don't know how you can get a buzz or feel a sense of achievement with some made last year and highly overpriced fake goods. People always pop up with the decal argument, that's just shite. Decals are just labelling the original stuff. What makes me laugh, quite a few of the guys that bought the new(fall apart when used) hutch pedals and the 250 quid (badly made) profile cranks could easily afford the originals. So does that make them tight or just lazy or more strangely, resentful of the hobby they choose themselves(even though they don't go away)? I say this because a few of them have put these fakes on their OS show builds. If the look can't be got properly, what's the point? I don't know, that's how i feel about it. I wouldn't want any repop parts for my OS build, it wouldn't feel right to me. OS collecting is a long game and needs patience and effort to get the things you want, so to each their own i guess. I can't do anything about it, i don't let it bother me and i don't think about it on a daily basis TBH. Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, What might be right for you, may not be right for some. A man is born, he's a man of means. Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans. But they got, Diff'rent Strokes. It takes, Diff'rent Strokes. It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world. Everybody's got a special kind of story Everybody finds a way to shine, It don't matter that you got not alot So what, They'll have theirs, and you'll have yours, and I'll have mine. And together we'll be fine.... Because it takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world. Yes it does. It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world. The world

Just my 2p worth.  :LolLolLolLol:
ding dong

mark 2

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 04:11 PM »
You left the"mmmmmmmmmm" off the end John.

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 04:36 PM »
what you talkin' about willis :)
ding dong

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 04:53 PM »

jt off his tits racing

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 04:58 PM »
mr jt is spot on if you ask me  :daumenhoch:.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 05:09 PM »
accept no subsitute.

PK6061

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 05:55 PM »
for me the repops work well on retro builds but not old school.
     i put some new tuffs on an old ripper was happy with it for
     all of 1 day (don't do it) ;) 

LowUFO

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 12:07 PM »
1st post here. I used to ride a Falcon Pro bitd when I grew up in Bexhill (I actually helped build the track there in one weekend back around '83 or '84) and I liked the bike. But I always wanted a TA, a Freestyler, and the Champion that the local bike shop had in the window w yellow Tuffs for 125quid.
So I mentioned in passing one day to my gf that there were these re-issue TAs coming and I wanted one. Well, she surprised me w one and I spent the next year putting it together. I never planned to ride it (Well maybe once). This was always going to be a piece of art for my play room (I manage a bike store in Canada so I have all kinds of bikes for riding).
So I built it w mostly NOS parts and where I just couldn't justify the diff between NOS and new, I went w new. This meant new Tuffs in white, new Redline double pinch cranks w old decals, and a new Kashi.
Now if this had been a 1985 Skyway instead of the '08, I wouldn't have taken a short cut. I guess what I'm saying is I agree that there is a place for the re-issue stuff. I just don't think its on frames from bitd.

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 12:29 PM »
gotta say them twin pinch flites on old bikes totally do my head in  :crazy2:
i'd sooner put a good opc on
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 12:52 PM »
I personally dont have a problem with repops, if people want to put them on their builds then so be it, just as long as they dont try to pass them off as the real deal

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 01:00 PM »
i have to agree........for the dedicated few they're not the done thing, but for riders, tight budgets or people who don't want to wait an age for the real thing to come up they have a place.  But like you say Del, as long as people don't try and pass them off as the real deal  :daumenhoch:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 01:17 PM »
Repops are fine in my book, but it always amazes me when someone puts them on a bike for show and shine and then they wonder why they didn't place anywhere when the judging takes place.

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 01:39 PM »
I'm trying  :tickedoff: to finish my OS racer.......(if any one has a maxy cross crank please PM me)......and I agree for a racer/user BMX cannot see a problem providing its within the "spirit" of old school

If I was building a carpet queen/show pony, they yes I think all parts must be era correct...at the end of the day the only person your kidding is yourself  :daumenhoch:

Some people are making the repo stuff to cash in on the "revival"  (put it this way someone is making a very nice profit margin charging $500 for a set of cranks  :coolsmiley: )

But then if people are mad enough to pay £1000's for the original stuff.........fair play...there's a market for it or they wouldn’t make the products
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

xGoose

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 02:02 PM »
for me its an ABSOLUTE no and Id never buy it again. I guess it depends on what youre trying to achieve but if you want 'that bike' that you never had and always wanted then repops are never going to be good enough. I bought some repop stuff either out of ignorance or because I thought it was good enough when I got back into the BMX thing, but it wasnt good enough (for me) so then I shelled out again on genuine parts.

I think either survivor genuine or refurb / resto is cool, but repop... not for me. The standards bar is set too high now.

ps. unless its decals! ;)

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 02:07 PM »
and pads  ;D
dave the bmxing gypo

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  HAVE REPOPS BEEN ACCEPTED?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx