gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 11:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  putting new parts on old skool bikes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: putting new parts on old skool bikes  (Read 649 times)

medved

putting new parts on old skool bikes
« on: January 10, 2010, 10:27 PM »
what's your view on putting modern stuff on old skool bikes?   what's the limit you would consider....if any?  just want to gauge opinions on this.

e.g.  i have 2 bikes, one of which is a Haro group 1 RS2. i use it as a rider and race in the south OSS to get some race experience.

i dont have mega money to spend on race parts, plus i have a nu skool bike that i ride at the track as well.

i took the bike apart and replaced some of the parts that dont work so well........basically i've replaced the brake pads and got a tecktro brakelever and sinz brake cable, i aslo put some holy rollers and intense halo tyres on it.......it makes it run a whole lot better and i am much more happy (and confident) riding the bike around.

i still see it as an 80's survivor, what do you guys think?

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: putting new parts on old skool bikes
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:33 PM »
Yeah it`s ok for a rider  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

magna13

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:38 PM »
If its a rider then its a good idea to put new stuff on. I have a Team Burner (not amazing i know) but i have a set of Holly Rollers on it with a Odyssey Cable, Tektro caliper and wellgo DX pedals. putting high end old school stuff on a bike your gonna thrash is a no no in my opinion :daumenhoch:

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:47 PM »
When I rode in the OS, I used newer bars(chrome for OS look), Pitbull brake, Linear slic cable and newer type lever. Used the headlock from an Odyssey pro headset, I would have used the whole headest but it didn't come with the headtube spacers. I used Holyrollers. And was running redline 3 piece crank with Odssey trailmix pedals.

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 09:45 AM »
As long as you're keeping within the spirit of the OS culture, ie. 1" threaded and caliper brake, then can't see ant problem.  My OS ride has a Chris King headset, Redline Flight cranks running through DMR Wondercups, Diamondback chrome bars from Halfords and other new parts to try and help it stop (it doesn't though!!).  Humps

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 09:52 AM »

You little cheats  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 07:51 PM »
As long as you're keeping within the spirit of the OS culture, ie. 1" threaded and caliper brake, then can't see ant problem.  My OS ride has a Chris King headset, Redline Flight cranks running through DMR Wondercups, Diamondback chrome bars from Halfords and other new parts to try and help it stop (it doesn't though!!).  Humps
It doesn't stop due to the size of the rider :LolLolLolLol:

I'll say it before anyone else does

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 08:05 PM »
I'm using a few bits of n/s stuff on my o/s race bike.....Headset, Tyres

For example if you restore an old car to use...would you use 25-30 year old tyres/brake shoes/hoses/bearings/oils etc etc.....

As long as its in the spirit of O/S  :daumenhoch:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  putting new parts on old skool bikes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx