gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 07:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  rust! what do you do?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: rust! what do you do?  (Read 2196 times)

Rodgy1970

rust! what do you do?
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:08 PM »
Had a wee look down the seat tube with a torch and guess what I found - horrible flaky rust.    I give it a scrape with a long screwdriver and a load of reddish dust came out, looks like the top of the BB shell was a water trap.  :shocked:   

Suppose this common with frames that are 25+ yrs old but I really hate rust with a passion.

I'm thinkin I should pour something down it like vinegar or citric acid and try n strip it out and treat it.

What do yous normally do?

:(

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
Re: rust! what do you do?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 01:11 AM »
hide it under the seatpost :LolLolLolLol:
ding dong

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 08:23 AM »

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 08:24 AM »
Had a wee look down the seat tube with a torch and guess what I found - horrible flaky rust.    I give it a scrape with a long screwdriver and a load of reddish dust came out, looks like the top of the BB shell was a water trap.  :shocked:   

Suppose this common with frames that are 25+ yrs old but I really hate rust with a passion.

I'm thinkin I should pour something down it like vinegar or citric acid and try n strip it out and treat it.

What do yous normally do?

:(

You could immerse in Oxalic or Vinegar for a while , should improve it muchly  ;)

Rudeboy72

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 08:50 AM »
I would just pour some Kurust or jenolite down there! Would probably do the whole frame while I was at it. :)

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 09:45 AM »
as above as they stabilize the rust and stop it getting worse.
 the other option is to find someone with a detail sand blaster and stick it down the seat tube then use kurust or jenolite, then when its dry spray zinc down the tube.
my other hobby is 1950s cars so i come across a lot of rust! you need to get rid of it or/and treat it or it is like a cancer and just spreads.

andy

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 10:44 AM »
get some Waxol from Hal's

Rodgy1970

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 02:00 PM »
hide it under the seatpost :LolLolLolLol:

:LolLolLolLol:

Can't I know its there  >:(

I'm not as shocked and annoyed as I was last night, the amount of dust that came out of it I'm thinking rust out for sures, bound to have affected the structural  integrity.

Maybe OTTT on a bike that might never get ridden but thats not the point and I reckon you'd always like to have the option.

Cheers for the advice lads, have to get it sorted now  :)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 07:36 PM »

I use bottled lemon juice on rust  ;)

:)

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

bobbysam

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 08:04 AM »
Waxoyl or Hammerite are good rust removers, I restored a few lambretta scooters in my youth and you need to prevent further rust or your frame will rot away completely,sound like its in a bitch of a place to treat though,I would be very tempted to get it treated proffessionally mate. Good Luck!!

Rodgy1970

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 07:33 PM »
 :shocked: those are great results with the lemon juice.

Gonna use white vinegar first just because I've got some and take it from there.

Looks like this is a water trap on the GT Pro frames, no drainage holes in the BB shell, I never noticed the rust before because where the seatpost was in the seat tube is better than ok like the rest of the frame.

I came across this weigle framesaver stuff when I was looking for stuff to treat it with but it seems to be more suitable for new frames, reckon something like waxoyl might be better if theres rust there.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/chain-lubricant/product/frame-saver-10220

http://shop.18bikes.co.uk/products.php?plid=m12b3s403p39&tbv=J.P._WEIGLE_(FRAMESAVER)_Framesaver_WORKSHOP_Framesaver

trickydeno

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 10:32 PM »
looks like the bottled lemon juice does a top job! nice one mr fett i'll be trying that one  :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  rust! what do you do?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx