gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 03:21 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What's your favourite budget OS bike? Sub £250 bitd.......
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What's your favourite budget OS bike? Sub £250 bitd.......  (Read 2574 times)

mark 2

At MK08 Dom had an '84 (or was it 85?) FST there, loved something about these for years and to see one in the flesh did it for me. I think it was the first FST advert. Was just thinking about it and thought of pm'ing Dom to see if he still had it. So Dom.... ;)

Another favourite is the '84 GT Team Series. Foxy mo'fo, these are beauties. Another top ad from bitd. Got one of these but not quite nailed it yet. A few tweaks, taken 18 months so far. Maybe the summer, steady and sure....

Another would have been the '82 Torker 280X but that just broke the price bracket and was pushing £300.

Tell me what tickled your fancy that weren't posh and pricey
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:29 PM by mark j. »

scary_leary

Re: What's your favourite budget OS bike? Sub £250 bitd.......
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 11:39 PM »
For bike per buck.. nothing beats a Silver Streak or a Californian  :4_17_5:

dannywhiteley

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 12:26 AM »
For me would be a Goose Cali or a Redline 500a.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 03:52 AM »

LMFAO....what a load of cack, kids round here were chucking em under lorries as they went past as they were so embarrassed of they crap bikes

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 08:13 AM »
At MK08 Dom had an '84 (or was it 85?) FST there, loved something about these for years and to see one in the flesh did it for me. I think it was the first FST advert. Was just thinking about it and thought of pm'ing Dom to see if he still had it. So Dom.... ;)

Another favourite is the '84 GT Team Series. Foxy mo'fo, these are beauties. Another top ad from bitd. Got one of these but not quite nailed it yet. A few tweaks, taken 18 months so far. Maybe the summer, steady and sure....

Another would have been the '82 Torker 280X but that just broke the price bracket and was pushing £300.

Tell me what tickled your fancy that weren't posh and pricey

Yes thats the 84 FST three stripes, notice also the lack of front gusset  ??? It was produced with the front gusset, the one in this photo must have been a one off  ???

Would love to get my hands on a complete 84 FST too  8)

tolaknawris

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 10:25 AM »

i think my silver streak was 249.99 from sale cycles '83  :daumenhoch:

Ade

sweetbeats

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 11:07 AM »
Really like that FST  8)

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 12:09 PM »
I really loved the ad with Blyther blasting out of the skatepark on an FST. That made me really want one of those.

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 12:13 PM »
kuwie nova £210.

sale cycles dec 84.

scary_leary

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 01:03 PM »

LMFAO....what a load of cack, kids round here were chucking em under lorries as they went past as they were so embarrassed of they crap bikes

lol, Supose they all rode "pro star and pro classes" ?
Must have been a privileged neighbourhood..

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 01:09 PM »
I have to admit that back in 83 my mum and dad would never have been able to spend £250 on a bike. So for me, real budget
Would've been the MKI tuff burner in blue and yellow. Always loved my mates one BITD.

mark 2

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 01:24 PM »
I have to admit that back in 83 my mum and dad would never have been able to spend £250 on a bike. So for me, real budget
Would've been the MKI tuff burner in blue and yellow. Always loved my mates one BITD.

Agreed, my mum and dad were quite young and still "starting out", and £120 would have been about what I could have expected then, but tbh, all I knew was burners when I was 10 and that was good enough. Even if you just knew your Burners, the Aero Pro at £230 was defo the rich kids bike. I had one friend with one but his mum and dad were divorced and the dad turned out to be gay so he had some making up to do. I think my point of this thread is it's not always about the money bikes being the desirable ones and floating your boat, there's been some awesome reasonably priced bikes out there that have the ooooooh factor about them.

No one mentionod an ET yet, how much were they? £235 something like that? I guess anyone into OS would gladly have a good ET in the arsenal, no surprises there.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:33 PM by mark j. »

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 02:28 PM »
First bmx I ever saw was an ET Kuwie. Christ how we laughed at his lack of gears and how crap it was that it wasn't a grifter. Oh how we came to eat those words 6 months later. :LolLolLolLol:

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 03:40 PM »
Heh Mark

Yeah i still have mine complete and its one of my all time favourite Haro's behind the 84 masters. Took a while to get everthing together and i have still never seen a blue haro stamped dyna seat so mines just a nos blue unstamped. They were great bikes for the cash and they do occasionally pop up for sale in the staetes and Australia for some reason.

I would definately be an fst lad in retrospect. 1) because i love the presentation of the bike and 2) they were affordable, and affordable was my middle name growing up.

Would also have to say though that for some reason i had a bit of an eye for the old silverfox growing up. I think it was also for those with limited cash.

84 Haro fst.....everyone should have one.  :)

mark 2

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 04:13 PM »
Thanks for the update Dom, did have my fingers crossed you weren't that attached to it... :LolLolLolLol:

When someone started a thread a little while back about dream bikes the Pro Star was mentioned a few times, but got that box ticked, so it's some of the more humble choices that are my dream bikes. To find perfectly preserved original and affordable stuff, heaven  :daumenhoch:

Berndott's '84 GT Team Series he unearthed this year, knock out imo. One of my boty's.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 04:15 PM by mark j. »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 04:58 PM »
I always thought the Pro Craft was good value for money....

Plus it rode great too  :daumenhoch:

Would still like one of these too....

Better to crash and burn than fade away

mark 2

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 05:20 PM »
Bollocks Marty, I bet you couldn't keep your eyes off the bloke playing pocket billiards and the short shorts  :-*

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 05:42 PM »
a young radman perchance?

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 05:59 PM »
What about the Nishiki ??????? what sort of price were they back in the day. They were an exact replica of the Redline so they can't of been crap.  :-\ :-\
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

trickydeno

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 08:50 PM »
hey mark,dp firebird freestyler for me! my folks could only afford a super burner back then which at the time i cherished.it got nicked and with the insurance money and many pay packets later from my saturday job i got my dp....white with mike buff z's.that weighed in at £220 and was my pride & joy  :)

Offline stu27

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 11:46 PM »
id just like to say that the team series in the ad looks amazing :smitten: :smitten:
negativity is for chumps,positivity is for champs

Rodgy1970

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 12:14 AM »
Would have liked an Aero Pro Burner  :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What's your favourite budget OS bike? Sub £250 bitd.......

gfxgfx
gfx gfx