gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Getting stuff re-chromed
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Getting stuff re-chromed  (Read 2549 times)

martylaa

Getting stuff re-chromed
« on: December 22, 2009, 08:04 PM »
Ok if I was getting some bits rechromed and say there was some pitting on the stuff, would I be able to just send to the chromers or would I need to do some sanding etc prior to sending it off?

Offline rollin72

• 900 Air
  • I was a ninja
  • Rated:
Re: Getting stuff re-chromed
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 08:11 PM »
they should sort it out for you, i sent some painted crank arms, stripped most of it myself but there were still bits on them, they came back funky fresh and in effect >:D

bmxbob

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 08:45 PM »
i ve never had anything re-chromed  :-\ but the finish is only as good a s the prep so i think i would want to get the items sanded and smoothed before i splashed out ££££ on re-chroming  :daumenhoch:

mark 2

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 08:55 PM »
The process is to remove the original chrome first, so you'll only be sanding away at was is being removed their end.  Next the bare metal is polished to a mirror finish. That's where the bulk of the work and expense is. That will remove light pitting but with deep stuff the more it is polished to remove it is obviously making that area of metal thinner so they can only go so far.

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 09:05 PM »
i would never take for granted that the chromers will do the prep correctly,the best thing to do is go in person and explain exactly what finish you are expecting,if you dont you may regret it like i did with my mongoose :'(
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 09:37 PM »
If they are going to do all the prep work for you, then you may want to tell them not to polish the welds smooth.

As a lot of custom chrome has smooth welds - you want to avoid this by communicating it clearly at the outset

Good luck  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 11:12 PM »
Ditto what Markyp & diesel said ^^^^^^^^

Go speak to them , explain no smoothing of welds & avoid over polishing which can change the shape/contour of things . Also if any stamps/serials there explain these need to be legible afterwards .

It's all about communication & prep , never assume .

martylaa

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 11:16 PM »
Ok cheers fellas, mark what happened to your mongoose?

mark 2

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 11:48 PM »
Ditto some of the above, I've had redline flight chainwheels ruined - the logo and lines half polished out, that made no sense why they did that, bananaman had the logo of a hlt stem half polished out. Aero Speed welds a few years back, PK Ripper welds fooked, the detail in the beading gone. Beware!

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 01:19 PM »
Ok cheers fellas, mark what happened to your mongoose?
they removed the og chrome but very little corrosion,basically they just chromed straight over all the crap!!the box section behind the bb is a right eyesore and the frame in general is in poor condition,whats annoying is that im damn sure i could have kept the og chrome and just autosol'd it back as good as that if id known! :'(
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

martylaa

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 03:52 PM »
What was the name of the company so I do not use them?

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 04:33 PM »
What was the name of the company so I do not use them?
its south coast chrome down in poole,they did my gt a few months prior and it was awesome,total show stopper but the frame and forks under the powder were in very good nick.the mongoose however like i said was in poor shape and i posted it to them instead of taking it in person.ive got a t.a to be done in the new year so i will use them again but this time i will make the trip in person and explain what im after.its a shame about my goose cos south coast chrome have a very good reputation,they are always busy,its a six week turnaround!!!they did a set of gt bars the same time as my goose and they look the dogs danglies,just a bummer about my frame,at least it was just a team goose and not my t.a!!!
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 06:19 PM »
lol, remember the communication because you can't put the shit back in the horse. once your serials and welds and sharp corners are gone they are gone for good. :-X
ding dong

trajake

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 05:32 PM »
Wow some great advice ot this thread but does anyone know how much roughly to re-chrome a frame and forks???? :laugh: :laugh:

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 05:49 PM »
I pay around £160, he does all the prep work himself and he is very very good  :daumenhoch:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 11:52 AM »

What about cost for doing a seat post and handlebars?  :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Getting stuff re-chromed

gfxgfx
gfx gfx