gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 05:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Cruiser Advice
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Cruiser Advice  (Read 2767 times)

radar

Cruiser Advice
« on: December 16, 2009, 10:11 PM »
I am looking to buy a cruiser in the new year been out of Bmx a long time there are so many its all a bit confusing.
I just want a good solid race bike for an old guy to race 40+
Have narrowed it down to felt sector 24 2009,haropro race 24 2009 and redline mx24 2010 all are about the £300 mark. which would suit someone coming back after a long lay off?

Thanks for your help

Matt

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Cruiser Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 10:18 PM »
I think the Haro is the best for that money, although I have seen a few Felts on the track and they look good too, but that Redline is the cheapest model they do so I`d stay away from that one.

Have you got some pics or links to the bikes ?
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 10:46 PM »
 :) The cranks on the Haro are pants.Seen a few sets destroyed with only light riding,other than that it`s a pretty good bike :daumenhoch:

magna13

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 10:56 PM »
Is it cranks or bb's go in them?  ??? My '05 SX20 suffers with the bearings in the bb unit going badly. the only problem with 05's :-\

dialledbikes

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 10:59 PM »
Agree about the cranks on the Haro.  Spillers bent his cranks (or did Billy bend them for him  :LolLolLolLol:).

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 11:26 PM »
 The Haro cranks are AC Racing alloy ones.I`ve seen first hand bent arms & spindles which are square taper type.My LBS has had a couple of them returned as the wheels weren`t true out of the box.

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 11:55 PM »
Is it cranks or bb's go in them?  ??? My '05 SX20 suffers with the bearings in the bb unit going badly. the only problem with 05's :-\

That and trying to get replacement posts/clamps.The back end on mine used to flex something rotten! The newer ones have improved a lot.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 07:48 AM »

bof

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 08:07 AM »
The redline link you have put up actually doesnt look too bad , Billy was right last years MX10 was a real dog , but that one looks fine just a shame about the steel forks. Just beware that winstanleys havent got the best name for service and after service. If you can go and collect the bike yourself. :daumenhoch:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 09:28 AM »
My LBS has had a couple of them returned as the wheels weren`t true out of the box.

To be fair James, they should have checked them before the bike left the shop  :idiot2:  50% of boxed bikes have a wheel wobble, 2 mins to sort when you build / pre mail order check.

As for cruiser advice,  09 Flovals are around at £300  :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

magna13

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 12:03 PM »

That and trying to get replacement posts/clamps.The back end on mine used to flex something rotten! The newer ones have improved a lot.
Seat posts are a bugger! the guy who owned mine before me actually snapped his Haro post and was out of racing for a month trying to find a post :LolLolLolLol: but except those little faults with the posts and bb units, they're one hell of a good bike :smitten: :smitten:

radar

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 08:18 PM »
Ok thanks guys so the haro has dodgy cranks and the redline has steel forks any views on the felt?
Also the Kuwahara that has been thrown in the mix i was told that the build quality is not good is that true?
I have lloked at 2009 floval flyers but they are all brown and cream not the best colour scheme ever :)

I have been thinking should i blow the budget( risk divorce) and throw a bit more money at it and maybe a 2010 floval flyer they look pretty good or a 2010 GT power series does an extra £100 by that nuch better bike?

Thanks again for all the advice it is much appreciated

Matt

medved

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 08:19 PM »
the Haro is a good bike and all round package. i will however ecvho the feelings about cranks. i have had to replace mine and it is a known issue with haro bikes (they even send replacement sets out to haro dealers like tibbs)

otherwise the bikes are ace, plus they come with very grippy tyres (intense micro nobboes)

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 08:40 PM »
The Haro with a set of better cranks would be good, the Felt looks a good deal too, and that Redline don`t look bad ,apart from the forks, although the price is a bit more.

How tall are you btw because the Haro is quite short ?

Have a chat with Stodgy in the radshop , http://www.radbmxshop.co.uk , and see what he can do for ya  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

radar

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 09:23 PM »
I am 5ft 7 so quite short and 13stone. I must admit the crank thing bothers me dont want to spend out on a new bike then bend the cranks first time out.

It is begining to look like i may have to spend a bit more to get something which is good straight from the box. I probably will keep the bike for a while so would like something solid i am never going to be a top rider just want a bit of fun on a relaible bike.

Cheers again

Matt

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 10:06 PM »
 :) Have you looked at MCS and DK cruisers?

radar

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 10:16 PM »
Too many bikes now my brain is melting  :laugh: :D

radar

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 10:28 PM »
I am back again thanks for all the advice. I have narrowed it down a bit now it looks like a 2010 floval is probably my best bet it is more money but if i buy the haro or the redline i would want to upgrade the bad bits so would be close to the £400 mark anyway.

So anyone have any other ideas or reasons not to do this please let me know

Thanks again

Matt

radar

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 07:45 PM »
one last question then i will leave you all alone.
is there any point in getting the redline proline 24 its £460 i cant see any reason that this is more than a floval flyer.
unless i am missing something

??????

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 08:57 PM »
 The build quality of the frame and the components is much higher quality than those on the SE bikes.I`ve owned a few Redlines & would recommend them.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 10:20 PM »
Do not go with the Floval. For your budget it has to be the Redline all the way or if no that then an Intense.

darren

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 01:48 PM »
i have a one pro cruiser up for grabs. few years old but good quality bike, prob better than redline and se.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Cruiser Advice

gfxgfx
gfx gfx