gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 12:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Whats the deal with Redlines?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Whats the deal with Redlines?  (Read 3502 times)

dannywhiteley

Whats the deal with Redlines?
« on: December 15, 2009, 08:41 PM »
Trying to get my head around 80's redlines, specifically the differences between the likes of 500a, 600a, 102b or are they all actually the same frame?  Aldo the MX-II and RL440 from what I can see on the museum have the same forks and gusset?

Photos/descriptions of any differences and things to look for would be welcomed.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:47 PM by dannywhiteley »

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Whats the deal with Redlines?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 10:05 PM »
1975-76 USA Redline Squareback Frame, 1977-1979 USA MXII Frame with 2 hole Gusset between Toptube & Downtube, 1979-1982 USA MXII Frame with Small Triangle Gussets below Downtube, 1982-1983 Japan MXIII Frame with Small Triangle Gussets below Downtube, 1983 Japan 500a same as MXIII Frame but small differences like holes inside BB where tubes come in and tringle plate welded behind seat clamp area, 1983 Japan 600a same as 500a but sold as complete bike, 1983 Japan 102b same as 500a but think it was named this in the USA.

Hope this helps... reasonably sure this info is accurate from memory  :daumenhoch:

Oh yeh, forgot to mention... the USA made Redline Frames just had a serial number on the Bottom Bracket, the Japan made stuff had the Redline Logo stamped in as well  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:21 PM by cheekythirtysix »

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 10:08 PM »
John,i'd kill for a square back,any idea what they go for now?i imagine a pretty penny.

trasher

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 10:10 PM »
have a trawl through here dan ,,might be of some use ,,,but john seems to be the redline expert on here  :daumenhoch:

http://redlinebmx.wordpress.com/

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 10:19 PM »
John,i'd kill for a square back,any idea what they go for now?i imagine a pretty penny.

Here ya go fella.... ending tonight but looks pretty yummy  :daumenhoch:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1975-BMX-Redline-Squareback-Frame-Set-Chatsworth-CA_W0QQitemZ230411189556QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item35a593bd34#ht_584wt_941
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:21 PM by cheekythirtysix »

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 10:23 PM »
have a trawl through here dan ,,might be of some use ,,,but john seems to be the redline expert on here  :daumenhoch:

Mattdub is pretty hot on the Redline stuff too  :daumenhoch:  ..... and Ratty  :daumenhoch:

trasher

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 10:26 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/1975-BMX-Redline-Squareback-Frame-Set-Chatsworth-CA_W0QQitemZ230411189556QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item35a593bd34#ht_584wt_941

tempted by that ,,,,if only it wasnt so close to christmas  :-\

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 10:28 PM »
that is lurvly,better star saving,but was under the impression that's the sort of money they'd go for.cheers buddy.

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 10:29 PM »

Lovely aint it fella.... tempted too... but my overdraft is waaaaaaaay to high  :(  You still got that lovely white PL-20 fella? Fooking lovely build that was  :daumenhoch:

dannywhiteley

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 10:30 PM »
Thanks guys.  Picked up a redline today on ebay, needs work but comes with some bits I could use.  In a way I hope its the 500a frame as I always wanted one as a kid, but I suppose the MX frames are more desirable?

Its difficult to see from the ebay photo so more details (and questions) when it arrives.

trasher

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 10:34 PM »

Lovely aint it fella.... tempted too... but my overdraft is waaaaaaaay to high  :(  You still got that lovely white PL-20 fella? Fooking lovely build that was  :daumenhoch:

i have mate ,,,its a keeper  :smitten:  first redline build ,,,,,thinking of another for next year ,,,getting the redline bug ,,your latest is a beauty mate ,,,after the shit you had ,it turned out sweet  :4_17_5:

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 10:48 PM »

i have mate ,,,its a keeper  :smitten:  first redline build ,,,,,thinking of another for next year ,,,getting the redline bug ,,your latest is a beauty mate ,,,after the shit you had ,it turned out sweet  :4_17_5:

Yeh you should hang on to that one no doubt  :smitten: Would never part with either of mine too  :LolLolLolLol: The Proline II was a painful journey.... got there in the end though and was pleased with the way it turned out  :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 11:51 PM »

i'd kill for a square back

I've got some original undrilled redline squareback forks  :angel:

They're going on a custom goose project I'm working on for next year  :coolsmiley:

I do like the early redlines  8)

Danny - for someone who was stopping you've bought a few frames lately mate  :shocked: :2funny: :LolLolLolLol:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 04:04 AM »
Does anyone in the UK have a squareback?

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 08:27 AM »

Mattdub is pretty hot on the Redline stuff too  :daumenhoch:  ..... and Ratty  :daumenhoch:

Cheers John  ;) , Ron Burgundy ( Bren ) on here has Redline flowing through his veins  ;) .

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Whats the deal with Redlines?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx