gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 03:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Bent tire beads, HELP!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bent tire beads, HELP!  (Read 1283 times)

Dr.Robotnik

Bent tire beads, HELP!
« on: December 09, 2009, 09:38 AM »
So I found two pairs of my ideal tires on ebay (steel beads, not foldable).

The seller wouldn't ship to the UK, only the US. So I found someone to have him ship them to.

Before paying I asked the seller for him to ship them flat as I did not want the tires ruined with bent beads.

:10_2_12:

I got an email today from my man in the US saying that the pillock had shipped them completely twisted.  :uglystupid2: My mate said that they'd be fine once inflated, but that's his opinion, not mine.

But I don't want fine, I want un-twisted tires which I paid for, so am now embarking on the ever joyful wrangle with an idiotic ebay seller. :2gunsfiring_v1:

However if worst comes to the worst, how can I sort them out? I don't want them to roll wobbly, is there anything I can do? Or is  just bend them back and hope you don't snap the bead the only option? :'(

:angrysoapbox:

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Bent tire beads, HELP!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 09:40 AM »

if they are twisted in a figure 8 they will pop back to the right shape when inflated no problem  :daumenhoch:

Dr.Robotnik

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:48 AM »

if they are twisted in a figure 8 they will pop back to the right shape when inflated no problem  :daumenhoch:

And if the tire bead is kinked....

moley

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 11:24 AM »
Stop worrying about it until you get them.

They might be fine!!  :)

I've had tires that were folded and looked as bent as Julian Clary but once seated in the rim and pumped up they were fine.

Bending in a figure of 8 and folding back shouldn't put a 90 degree bend in the bead but it will make the tire bend when stood up straight.  When pumped up it will pull back into shape.

Life is too short to worry about things that might happen.   Wait until you receive the tires first then deal it with if it needs sorting.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 11:26 AM »

And if the tire bead is kinked....

then they'll be fooked!  and chalk it up  :daumenhoch:

Voodoocars

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 11:39 AM »
If they are kinked you can staighten them out very carefully with 2 pairs of pliers.Easy peasy done it loads.

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 12:53 PM »
in a vice with a cloth protecting the jaws

Dr.Robotnik

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 12:56 PM »
Stop worrying about it until you get them.

They might be fine!!  :)

I've had tires that were folded and looked as bent as Julian Clary but once seated in the rim and pumped up they were fine.

Bending in a figure of 8 and folding back shouldn't put a 90 degree bend in the bead but it will make the tire bend when stood up straight.  When pumped up it will pull back into shape.

Life is too short to worry about things that might happen.   Wait until you receive the tires first then deal it with if it needs sorting.

Woah, woah woah, hold on guys I am not new to cycling or BMX or anything like that. Perhaps I haven't worded my question correctly (in retrospect I haven't). They were bent far more than a figure of 8, the beads are kinked according to my mate in the US. I expressly asked the seller for them to be shipped flat to avoid this situation. Now why would I pay to ship them from my proxy in America to see this in person and chalk it up?

I was asking as the beads are kinked what remedies there are if any? If it's pliers and skill (which I don't have) then I don't know why I should suck it up.

I asked for them to be shipped flat, they weren't, they are mangled.

Maybe I should explain, I paid top dollar and don't currently have a full time job because of my PhD. This is a lot of money to me and I did my best to avoid it. I love recycling but if there is no fool proof remedy, then they are going back for either a refund or new tires.

Sorry for the palaver and the questions, but I've had a lot go wrong lately and just wanted some help.

moley

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 01:09 PM »
If he sold them as Minty fresh and you receive it in a worse condition then claim your money back through paypal!  :daumenhoch:

Kinks can be removed but if your not happy then you have to claim!!  :daumenhoch:

lodge

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 01:20 PM »
I  wouldn't be happy Kinked beads are a tw8t to do anything with, yeah you can make them useable but there never as straight as they were.

What tyres were they by the way?

Dr.Robotnik

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 01:24 PM »
If he sold them as Minty fresh and you receive it in a worse condition then claim your money back through paypal!  :daumenhoch:

Kinks can be removed but if your not happy then you have to claim!!  :daumenhoch:

Sorry for ranting before, I'm just cut up. They were new old stock and sold as such. That's all I wanted.

I hate the paypal claim process and the whole ebay feedback thing and hope these can just be sent back and replaced with ones shipped flat.

Cheers to all, this thread can probably die now.

@S&Mc Bicycle Co. they were two V Monsters and two V-tracks from Primo with tan walls. I always wanted these in tan walls and never could find them BITD. I feel like in fishing when you go to reel the catch in and it just gets away at the very last minute, or you land it and it's the wrong fish or to young. Just like I wasted my time you know?

moley

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 01:28 PM »
Some people's packing abilities are just awful!   >:(

They dont seem to give a shit once the money is paid!!

I hope ya get it sorted.    :daumenhoch:

Voodoocars

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 03:09 PM »
I wouldnt worry about it. If they are bent, straighten them up, put them on and you will never know. Then just give the guy neg feedback explaining why. I dont know if these tires are rare tho' so dont listen to me.  :-\

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 03:52 PM »
Best hing to do is get your mate to send pics of how kinked they are; not being funny but pics say a thousand words and your mate may be thinking they are bad when in fact they may not be  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Dr.Robotnik

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 03:57 PM »
Best hing to do is get your mate to send pics of how kinked they are; not being funny but pics say a thousand words and your mate may be thinking they are bad when in fact they may not be  :daumenhoch:

Seen the pictures just now, the side walls are stained in places too :knuppel2:....any tips for sorting that out? Maybe rub them with a pencil eraser? :idiot2:

I'll post the pics when this is all resolved.

This is the third time I've bought a mid-school bit and the second time I've received something with un-declared damage. :Aresehole:

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Bent tire beads, HELP!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx